Health Tip: Keeping Mold at Bay, It could be making you sick


U.S. News http://health.usnews.com/health-news/family-health/allergy-and-asthma/articles/2010/12/03/health-tip-keeping-mold-at-bay.html

(HealthDay News) — Indoor mold can lead to allergy and respiratory problems that can prove deadly.

The Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America (AAFA) and the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology (AAAAI) offer these suggestions for keeping mold growth in your home under control:

•Keep the indoor humidity level at less than 40 percent. A hygrometer can help you monitor indoor humidity. A dehumidifier and/or air conditioner may be needed, especially in damp areas of the home.Fix the source of any water leaks that allow mold spores to grow on windowsills or in refrigerator drip pans.

•Identify areas where molds and mildew reside on hard surfaces, and clean these areas with a bleach-based product.

•Make sure your home has adequate ventilation. Use exhaust fans in the kitchen and bathroom, and ventilate clothes dryers to the outside.

•Clean your shower curtain frequently.

•Minimize the number of live indoor plants.

•Keep windows closed, if possible.

•Do not carpet bathrooms and basements, especially if there are mildew problems in these rooms.

•John P. Lapotaire, CIEC
•Certified Indoor Environmental Consultant
•Microshield Environmental Services, LLC
www.Microshield-ES.com www.CFL-IAQ.com

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: